Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information about life in the United States, please download and read our International Student Orientation Guide.

1. Prepare for the exam

  • Study for the knowledge test. You can download the South Carolina Driver's Manual here.
  • Prepare for the skills test (driving exam). Ask American students what to watch out for when taking the driving exam.

2. Prepare Documents

  • Proof of Address (a letter from the school on school letterhead indicating enrollment period)
  • Proof of identity (Passport)
  • A letter from the Social Security Administration stating you are not allowed to work in the US. You will need to go to the Social Security Office to get this letter. For directions, click here.
  • Form I-20
  • Translated driver's license from home country. The translator must use Form 4030 and must be accompanied by a letter of verification from his employer on letterhead qualifying him as a translator. This translation can be made at and costs $50. If you don't have a driver's license, you will need to wait 6 months between your written test (permit) and the driving test (full license).
  • Proof of insurance for the car you will be driving.

3. Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles

  • Present your documents
  • Pass a vision test
  • Pass the knowledge and skills test.

For more information, see Form MV-94.

In order to open a bank account, you will need...
Go to top